You will need:
One 1 lb. bag of Baer's Best beans, any variety
Large cooking pot with cover and a collander
3 quarts of water
Spices and/or herbs (no salt/acidic ingredients in the cooking water)
- Empty a 1 lb. bag of Baer's Best beans into a collander and rinse with cool water.
- Fill a large pot with about 3 quarts of water and add the rinsed beans.
- Add herbs or spices to the water for some added flavor.
- Bring water to a boil and then reduce the heat. Add a cover to prevent evaporation, and simmer gently for approximately 1 to 2 hours. Cooking time may vary depending on the variety of bean.
- Check occasionally for fork tenderness. When they are tender and the skins are just starting to split, they will be done and you can remove them from the heat. Drain and they are ready to use in your recipe of choice or you can freeze them to use another day!
Baer's Best Beans
South Berwick, Maine